Donate your Library to the Library
When you’re moving, making space for new books, or just downsizing your personal library, think of the Library! The Calgary Public Library Foundation accepts donations of materials at community libraries and at its office, and funds raised are invested back into the Library.
What materials can I donate?
- children's books
- college textbooks (published in the past 10 years)
- foreign language books (in Western Script)
- hardcover fiction and nonfiction
- mass market paperbacks
- trade paperbacks
- antiquarian, rare and collectible books
- DVDs and Blu-ray discs*
- music CDs
- books on CD*
- video games*
*complete disc sets with original case art only please
If you have donations that fall outside these guidelines please contact Christine Gingerick at the Calgary Public Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
Please ensure that books are free of mildew, mould, dirt or water damage, and that they don't have excessive spine damage, missing pages, or parts of pages, or missing covers. Media sets must be complete and must include the original case art.
What items are not accepted?
- any items not listed in the acceptable list
- activity books and workbooks (i.e. coloring books)
- annuals and yearbooks
- audio cassettes, VHS Tapes, LP records and computer software
- books published by magazines (i.e. Reader's Digest Condensed and Time Life Books)
- case law and procedural books
- custom course packets
- reference material over 5 years old
- directories and telephone books
- journals and periodicals
- microfilm and microfiche
- newspapers and magazines
- non-western script books
- tax and government documents or forms
- free copies or advanced reading copies
Where can I drop off my donated materials?
You can drop off 20 books or 2 large bags at a time at any community library. Please drop off larger donations at the Calgary Public Library Foundation office (Memorial Park Library, 2nd floor) from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
What happens to the materials I donate?
The Library Foundation works with BetterWorld Books, an organization that collects and sells books online to fund literacy initiatives worldwide. BetterWorld Books provides an avenue for selling donated materials and has partnered with more than 2,000 libraries in North America to list books online in marketplaces like Amazon. A portion of the proceeds from the sales are returned to the Library, enabling the purchase of new and needed materials.
If you have any questions about donating books or materials, please call the Calgary Public Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
Donating Valuable Books to the Calgary Public Library Foundation
Tax receipts can be issued for the donation of books of significant value. Please make these donations through the Calgary Public Library Foundation. In order for the Calgary Public Library Foundation to issue a tax receipt, please remember:
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that the item be appraised, in writing, by an independent, recognized expert.
- The donor is responsible for arranging the appraisal of the item, and for any fees involved in that appraisal. If the item is accepted by the Calgary Public Library Foundation, those fees may be included as part of the donation value.
To arrange for your donation of a valuable book or item, please call us at 403-221-2002.