Being a writer is hard work; authors spend years perfecting the craft of writing, never knowing if they'll find success or not. Don't get discouraged though — we can help!
February 7th is Writers' and Readers' Day at Calgary Public Library, offering great free workshops that can help you get started on the path to being a professional writer (all workshops are open to teens, although there may be some adult content). In honour of the event, we're hosting our second annual fiction writing contest for teens — Just Write!
This year's grand prize is a one-on-one mentoring session with local author Cathy Ostlere; it's a terrific opportunity for you to learn about the craft of writing, and the business of getting published, from someone who's actually done it. Honourary mentions will receive a writers' prize pack, and all of our winners will have their work published right here!
- This contest is for teens, ages 13-17. Please include your name and age with your entry.
- You MUST use at least one of the two writing prompts provided below – your work will either include the sentence provided, or be based on the picture (or both).
- Entries must be no longer than 500 words. Prose, poetry, and graphic/comic formats are all welcome (graphic formats must include some writing).
- Send your entries to email@example.com by the end of Sunday, January 25th, 2015.
- Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges and announced at the start of February.
Sentence: It was like no other toffee she had ever seen before (for one thing it seemed to be breathing), but she slipped it into her mouth anyway and its flavour flooded her tongue.
We can't wait to see what you'll come up with!