This January, Calgary Public Library is pleased to launch Library Unlimited, a joint partnership with the Calgary Board of Education and the Calgary Catholic School District which will put free Calgary Public Library cards into the hands of each and every student and teacher. This initiative celebrates the elimination of the library card fee for all Calgarians.
Free library cards will arrive at every school in the month of January. Cards can be activated online or at any Calgary Public Library location.
What are the benefits of having a library card?
With a library card, students have access to the following:
- print and digital resources that complement school libraries
- free literacy and numeracy programs, such as Reading Buddies, Computer Buddies, and Math Minds, which provide extra support and enrichment
- free extracurricular activities such as LEGO Clubs
- free wireless internet, computers, and printing
- quiet study space
- volunteer hours for high school students
How can teachers get involved?
- Register your own free library card to try out our new online registration tool! Remember if you already have a card, you may need to re-register for some services, like downloading e-books.
- Ensure students take their cards home and register online, or by going to their community library with a parent or caregiver.
- Be a champion of the public library! Encourage students to borrow books and other materials, use our online resources, and participate in programs. Contact your closest library location to arrange a field trip — you'll find that many of our community libraries have been refreshed!
What if students already have a library card?
- We want to make sure every K-12 student in Calgary has a card. If the students in your household already have one that’s great! They can keep their original card instead, or replace their current card with a Library Unlimited card featuring the Calgary Board of Education or Calgary Catholic School District logo.
Student who register online will be able to immediately access online resources, use filtered internet access in the library, and borrow up to 10 items. Cards registered online will generate a postcard mailed to the student's home address, which a parent can sign to authorize full and unlimited access to the library, including a borrowing limit of up to 99 items.