The use of Calgary Public Library space by Calgarians is governed by a principle of free and open access to the public. As part of its contribution to the Calgary community, the Library provides use of its program rooms and the Central Library's theatre to groups under the following terms and conditions.
Statement of Room Use Guidelines
The following guidelines govern the use of Calgary Public Library (hereafter referred to as "the Library") meeting and program rooms and the John Dutton Theatre:
- The Library reserves the right to determine whether room use is in accordance with the Guidelines.
- Rental of program / meeting rooms requires a valid adult resident Library membership.
- Priority is given to Library programs and Library-partnered events.
- Room bookings are on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Library reserves the right to review recurring use by any group to ensure appropriate accessibility.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel a booking under special circumstances with one month's notice.
- Renters may not advertise that the event is sponsored or supported by the Library unless given written permission from the Library to do so.
- Renters must abide by all Library regulations and are responsible for any damage incurred due to the use of the room or Theatre; the space must be left in the condition in which it was found.
- Only adults of legal age, with a valid Calgary Public Library membership, may book the John Dutton Theatre.
- Attendance at the event cannot exceed the posted maximum for the room.
Meeting and Program Rooms
- May be booked up to 2 months in advance; require 48 hours' notice of cancellation
- Require no minimum hours of booking; allow a maximum booking that does not exceed open hours of one day, up to 30 minutes prior to closing, except Memorial Park Library, which can be booked for up to 24 hours, and Quarry Park Library, which can be booked outside of library hours, when the YMCA is open.
- Will be released for others to use after 15 minutes if the renter is not present
- No entrance or admission fees are charged at the event unless for minimal cost recovery
- Cost recovery fees must be waived for attendees with financial barriers
- No products or services are sold; no direct income generation activities take place
- No fundraising activities take place
- No storage of material is provided
- No alcohol is permitted
John Dutton Theatre (Central Library)
- May be booked up to 1 year in advance; requires two weeks' notice of cancellation
- Requires booking by a person of legal age
- Requires a 3 hour minimum booking and a maximum booking of one day; requests for booking longer than 1 day, or for recurring events, will be approved at the discretion of the Library based on operational considerations
- Renters must agree to the Schedule of Fees
- Payment of rental fees according to the Schedule of Fees is due in full at the time of booking; payment is by credit card only
- Cancellation of Theatre bookings that involve payment of rental fees completed 14 days or more in advance of the event will receive 100% refund; cancellation less than 14 days in advance of the event will receive no refund
- Some storage of materials is provided if arranged in advance
Failure to adhere to the guidelines above may result in withdrawal of room use privileges.
- Sales: any wholesale, retail, service or similar activity that could result in the exchange of money or that offer monetary gain to the person(s) distributing the product or service
- Group: three or more people
Included in Program Room Rentals are the Following:
- Wireless internet access
- Tables and chairs (booking group to set up and take down)
- Whiteboard and markers
- One security guard for rentals after regular hours at Memorial Park Library
Included in John Dutton Theatre rentals are the following:
- Security (one guard) during all hours of rental
- Library staff Event Support person during all hours of rental; Calgary Public Library does not provide a sound or lighting technician
- Orientation to the Theatre prior to booking
- Wireless internet access
- Sound system, including corded and wireless microphones
- Light system
- Overhead data projector
- Large screen
- Laptop, CD player, iPod dock
- Tables, chairs and stage furniture (coffee table, rug, lamp, winged chairs, stool chairs)
- Blu-ray / DVD player
- Use of Green Room
- Use of lobby and Plus 15 area