The Calgary Public Library represents unlimited possibilities and inspires people of all ages to wonder, seek, discover, and share. Calgary’s 20 (and growing) community libraries are community hubs that ignite learning, discussion, invention, and action and this is accomplished through the Library’s commitment to:
- be a vital part of strengthening neighbourhoods in a growing city
- bring the library into more people’s lives by removing barriers and increasing access to information in all its forms
- focus on services that make a difference
- develop innovative and collaborative partnerships with our community to leverage collective knowledge and expertise
- build welcoming, inclusive and dynamic library spaces and places within the heart of our communities.
To achieve our vision, Calgary Public Library is seeking leaders with ideas, energy, passion and commitment who can help us make a difference in the lives of Calgarians and take public library services to a new level of excellence.
The Calgary Public Library acknowledges the traditional territories and oral practices of the Blackfoot people, the Nakota people of the Stoney Nation, the Beaver people of the Tsuut’ina Nation, and the peoples of the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region Three.
Building Maintenance Assistant
(Permanent Part Time)
Reporting to the Assistant Manager, Facilities Operations, the Building Maintenance Assistant is responsible for performing minor repairs and semi-skilled general work in carpentry and painting at all locations of Calgary Public Library.
The 21 hour per week schedule for this position is:
Sunday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Monday: 1:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Assesses and completes minor repairs on lights, plumbing, floor machines, and furniture effectively and efficiently;
- Moves and sets up equipment and furniture throughout the library system;
- Carries out semi-skilled carpentry, building, painting, and wood finishing activities;
- Cleans, checks, and performs light servicing of snow clearing equipment and library vehicles, as assigned; reports repair requirements to the supervisor;
- Works positively and productively with other staff;
- Demonstrates continuous individual growth and development;
- Other related duties.
- Trades-related secondary or technical school education in carpentry or painting, or equivalent.
- A minimum of three years directly related recent experience.
- Valid Alberta driver's license; ability to satisfy insurance requirements.
- Strong communication, problem-solving, and decision-making skills required.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and relationship building skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Starting hourly rate: $24.90
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- The opportunity to contribute to an award-winning library system, grow professionally, and make a positive difference in the lives of Calgarians
How to Apply
If Building Maintenance Assistant sounds like the next chapter in your career story, take this opportunity to make a real contribution to one of Canada's leading public library systems. Send a cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements of the position, a resume, and the names of three references to email@example.com.
Be sure to quote competition number “Job Posting #193" in the subject line of your e-mail.
The closing date for this competition is July 20, 2018.
We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment. Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.