The Calgary Public Library represents unlimited possibilities and inspires people of all ages to wonder, seek, discover, and share. Calgary’s 20 (and growing) community libraries are community hubs that ignite learning, discussion, invention, and action and this is accomplished through the Library’s commitment to:
- be a vital part of strengthening neighbourhoods in a growing city
- bring the library into more people’s lives by removing barriers and increasing access to information in all its forms
- focus on services that make a difference
- develop innovative and collaborative partnerships with our community to leverage collective knowledge and expertise
- build welcoming, inclusive and dynamic library spaces and places within the heart of our communities.
To achieve our vision, Calgary Public Library is seeking leaders with ideas, energy, passion and commitment who can help us make a difference in the lives of Calgarians and take public library services to a new level of excellence.
The Calgary Public Library acknowledges the traditional territories and oral practices of the Blackfoot people, the Nakota people of the Stoney Nation, the Beaver people of the Tsuut’ina Nation, and the peoples of the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region Three.
Social Media & Digital Content Specialist
The Library’s Marketing & Communications team is looking for a Social Media & Digital Content Specialist who is passionate about the power of libraries and has the wit and e-chops to share that passion with the world in strategic, targeted, and creative ways. You’ll have to love a fast-paced, positive, and energetic work environment where being a collaborative team player is essential.
Reporting to the Director, Communications the successful candidate will need at least three years’ experience writing and editing for digital communications and will be responsible for contributing to and implementing the Library’s strategy on digital marketing with particular focus on the social media component. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of marketing and communications principles is important.
- Implement an editorial calendar to manage content and plan specific and timely outreach (daily, as well as larger campaigns)
- Create and publish relevant, engaging, and high-quality audience-specific content using written content, graphic elements, photos, and videos
- Adhere to all Library guidelines, monitor, listen, and respond to followers/users in a timely, thoughtful, and consistent manner
- Track Library brand reputation on applicable social media platforms
- Monitor, analyze, and report on social growth and engagement
- Plan, measure, and report on effectiveness of paid social media campaigns with the purpose of refining strategy and improving resource allocation
- Provide back-up on all website content development, as well as monitoring, maintaining, and reporting on Google Adwords and SEO
- Works positively and productively with other staff and contribute to the Content Marketing Strategy
- Participates actively in initiatives which support and enhance the accomplishment of system goals and objectives
- Demonstrates continuous individual development and growth
- Work with third-party vendors and agencies as required
- Other related duties
- Bachelor level University degree in Marketing or Communications
- Experience developing content in a consistent voice on all major social media channels from concept through to delivery and evaluation (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn)
- Experience building content calendars for social platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in applicable social media management tools e.g. Sprout Social
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- A strong sense of urgency — works quickly, meets deadlines, and collaborates with team
- Excellent writing, storytelling, editing, and proofreading skills
- Keen desire to stay current with developments in the field
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends is required
- Extended Health and Dental Benefits
- Participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP)
- Life Insurance
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
How to apply:
If Social Media & Digital Content Specialist sounds like the next chapter in your career story, take this opportunity to make a real contribution to one of Canada's leading public library systems. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to quote competition number “206” in the subject line of your e-mail.
The closing date for this competition is July 20, 2018.
We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment. Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.