- Your Library
- Events & Programs
- Read, Learn & Explore
The Calgary Public Library invites applications for the paid position of Artist in Residence: Children’s Artist/ Illustrator at the Central Library in downtown Calgary, Alberta for the fall of 2023. This residency recognizes the contribution of children’s artists to literature and to Calgary’s culture and seeks to introduce Library patrons, especially children and educators, to artists and art forms they may not otherwise experience while providing opportunities to meet artists, observe the artistic process and participate in artmaking.
The Library seeks emerging or mid-career children’s artists/illustrators with an art practice in any medium and an affinity for people. This residency program is based in a glass-walled studio in a public space, which means, while the artist’s practice and privacy is to be respected whether in the studio or in the public space of the library, we do expect the artist to be comfortable and open to engaging with patrons. The artist is expected to display their work and process, as a way of animating the studio for visitors to look in and see when the artist is not present. Experience working with communities, large groups and/or children and youth is an asset.
The children’s artist/ Illustrator residency runs for three months, September-November annually. The artist will be required to take part in an artist talk and, at minimum, two public workshops and/or school programs, all set in collaboration with the Library. Beginning September 5, 2023, the artist will hold open studio hours at The Central Library for a minimum 7.5 hours per week, culminating in a December exhibition. The 252 square foot Artist in Residence studio is available to the artist during opening hours to work on their own projects and the Library Goes to Kindergarten contract (see below).
The Artist in Residence honorarium is $50.00 per hour to a maximum of 100 hours per residency. This amount includes offsite preparation time and onsite program delivery time, and any other project expenses incurred by the applicant, except for materials specific to community engagement events.
In addition to the residency, the artist awarded the contract will be commissioned to design the annual Library Goes to Kindergarten promotional item, during their residency (additional remuneration).
Artists may not apply as an individual and be part of an organization or collective applying in the same competition.
If the applicant is an individual artist, the following eligibility criteria apply:
If the applicant is an organization or a collective, the following eligibility criteria apply:
Additionally, the successful applicant must be willing to:
Applicants will be evaluated based on inclusion of the following:
1. Artistic Practice narrative (500 words or fewer):
2. Describe how your artistic practice is particularly suited to the Calgary Public Library’s values of inclusion, curiosity, and/or collaboration, and is respectful and suitable for family audiences.
3. Artist statement/bio (250 words or fewer)
4. Resume or CV (PDF) with demonstrated experience in public engagement, ideally with children, and examples of collaborations, awards, publications, scholarships, education, work experience, exhibitions, or grants.
5. List of possible technical needs (PDF) during the residency i.e.: projector and screen
6. Website/Online Portfolio showcasing original examples of work in children’s art and/or illustration (target ages 4 – 12). The style of artwork can translate well to a Library Card and T-shirt format (not overly detailed, small, or too dark) OR
7. If no website with online portfolio: Attach any combination of work samples to sufficiently support your proposal. If uploading files, please include artists last name in the file name.
The successful candidate will be selected by a committee. All applicants will be notified once the committee has made its selection, generally in late summer or early fall. The successful candidate will be notified, but their name will not be announced until the residency has been secured.
Please submit applications to:
Service Design: Artist in Residence Program
Central Library, 800 3rd Street SE
Calgary, AB T2G 2E7
Or electronically to email@example.com