If you'd like to borrow an item that we don't own, you can request an interlibrary loan and we’ll borrow it from another library system for you.
To place an interlibrary loan request, search for your title in the Alberta Library Online. Once you find what you are looking for click the yellow "Request" button, found on the right-hand side of the page.
If you can’t find the item in the Alberta Library Online, visit your local community library and ask staff to help you fill out an interlibrary loan request form. You need a valid library card to request an interlibrary loan.
Items eligible for interlibrary loan include titles that Calgary Public Library does not own in the following formats: print books, CDs, bookCDs, DVDs, MP3s, microfilm/fiche (for in-library use only at the Central Library), and photocopies of articles from magazines, journals, and newspapers.
Please note the following:
• Patrons can have only five active interlibrary loan requests at one time.
• Most ILL requests are free, if there is a charge staff will contact a patron to see if they accept the charges before processing the request.
• For requests involving photocopying a minimum charge of $5.00 will be applied.
• Please talk to staff at a community library if you wish to suspend an interlibrary loan.
• Depending on the material, an interlibrary loan may take four to six weeks to arrive.
• The loan period for most interlibrary loan items is four weeks; DVDs may be borrowed for one week.
• Interlibrary loans cannot be renewed.
• Overdue fines for interlibrary loans are $1.00 per day.
• Interlibrary loan items should be checked out by staff and returned directly to staff at any Calgary Public Library location. Interlibrary loans cannot be checked out using self-checkout machines.