Opening November 1, 2018
The one-year countdown to the opening of New Central Library is now underway. Located adjacent to City Hall, New Central Library will open in November 1, 2018 in the burgeoning community of East Village.
There’s something for everyone at the library, a new gathering place for our city.
- Watch film screenings or listen to author readings inside the 350-seat Performance Hall.
- Browse books throughout the building, then head up to the TD Great Reading Room for a quiet spot to devour your latest find.
- Collaborate with community members in the Create Space, or book one of the more than 30 free meeting spaces for your next meeting, conference or reception.
- Kids have a special place to crawl, climb, and swing, inside the Early Learning Centre that’s set to become a family destination. Learn more about our Early Learning Centres here.
- There’s a space just for teens with studios for making videos and music, gaming stations, and performance space.
- You can make and share Calgary’s history in the Williams & Harris Shared History Centre, or head to the Idea Lab, a collaborative studio space designed for brainstorming activities.
Come explore all of New Central Library’s programs, services, and features on November 1, 2018.
New Central Library Facts
- The City of Calgary has been planning for a new Central Library since 2004, when it first devoted funds to study future library needs.
- Throughout 2012, more than 16,000 Calgarians participated in an extensive public engagement program to provide input into the function of the New Central Library and the role of the Library within the community.
- The building’s architects are Snøhetta, an international firm, and Calgary’s DIALOG, while CMLC leads the construction.
- The 240,000 square foot building has five levels that will contain about 600,000 items.
- Construction began in 2014 with a real feat of engineering: encapsulating the LRT. It was the first time in Calgary’s history an active LRT line was encapsulated and used as a foundation for a building above.
- A webcam keeps track of every construction step by capturing a photo every 10 minutes.
- The final steel beam of New Central Library’s skeletal structure serves a dual-purpose; it’s a time capsule of steel. In March 2017, nearly 700 library lovers of all ages inscribed the massive beam with messages of congratulations and inspiration for future generations.
- New Central Library is a fully-funded $245 million project, paid for by the City ($175 million) and CMLC ($70 million). The Calgary Public Library Foundation’s Add In Campaign allows donors to enhance collections, programs, and services across the entire Library system.
Leave Your Mark
You can leave your mark on New Central Library now by joining the Windows of Opportunity campaign. Purchase a window in New Central Library, and your name or a message will be inscribed on the window’s frame. Proceeds from the Windows of Opportunity Campaign will support the entire Calgary Public Library system.
Thank you to our Partners
New Central Library is a partnership between the City of Calgary, Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC) — the master developer of East Village, Calgary Public Library, and the Calgary Public Library Foundation.