April is National Poetry Month and we want to get everyone writing a "bit" of poetry on Twitter!
Enter our Poetry Contest and you could win a $50 Library Store gift certificate and bragging rights! It's as easy as 1-2-3:
Step 1: Follow us on Twitter! (So we can direct message you if you win!)
Step 2: Take to Twitter to write your best original poem. (Poem must be text, not graphics!)
Step 3: Tag your poem with the hastag #poembitopens a new window. (Get it? A small bit of poetry?)
Our panel of judges will read all the tweeted poems and award one poet per week with a $50 Library Storeopens a new window gift certificate and bragging rights!
We’ll also feature some of the entries (and the winners!) on Twitteropens a new window, Instagramopens a new window, and Facebookopens a new window. See your name — okay, your Twitter handle — in lights!
Share our #poembit tweets and posts to spread poetry during National Poetry Month. Full contest rules below!
Lisa Murphy-Lambopens a new window is a writer and teacher, and the Director of Loft 112, a vibrant creative space in Calgary’s East Village.
Weyman Chanopens a new window is an award-winning Calgary poet. His fifth collection of poetry, Human Tissue, was just released.
Rosemary Griebelopens a new window is an award-winning poet and the Design Lead for Readers’ Services at Calgary Public Library.
Contest Rules and Regulations
- The contest is open to all residents of Canada excluding Quebec, except Calgary Public Library Board members, officers and employees of the Calgary Public Library and members of those individuals' families and their cohabitants.
- Contest opens at 12:00 a.m. MST on April 1 and closes April 28 at 11:59 p.m. MST. One winner will be announced per week in April starting the week of April 11, 2016.
- To enter, participants must tweet a poem that they’ve written with the hashtag #poembit.
- Participants must follow @calgarylibrary on Twitter.
- Participants can submit multiple entries, however each entry must be unique.
- Tweeted poems must be text, not graphics.
- Four $50 Calgary Public Library Store gift certificates will be awarded — one each week beginning the week of April 11, 2016. Each prize must be accepted as awarded; no cash alternatives, substitution or transfers of the survey prize will be allowed.
Conduct of This Contest
- The weekly winner will be determined at 4:00 p.m. MST on Fridays in April, beginning Friday, April 8, 2016. Winners will be announced the following week on social media and at calgarylibrary.ca/poetrycontest.
- Winners will be chosen by our panel of three judges and are also subject to Calgary Public Library’s discretion.
- Winners will be notified via Twitter. Winners have 48 hours from the time the notification is sent to confirm their Canadian mailing address in order in order to claim their prize. If they have not done so within 48 hours a new winner will be chosen.
- The winners’ names and likeness may be used in future Calgary Public Library marketing and promotional materials without additional compensation (except where prohibited).
Privacy and Personal Information
- Each winner will be required to provide Calgary Public Library with his/her name, mailing address and telephone or email address for the sole purpose of prize administration.
- Calgary Public Library is not legally responsible – and cannot be held liable – for any products or services purchased with the Library Store Gift Certificate.
- Calgary Public Library may, at any time at its sole discretion and without prior notice, vary, modify, delete or add to these Terms and Conditions and may also withdraw or discontinue this contest at any time without notice or liability to any party.
- This contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. These rules are subject to change without notice in order to comply with any applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws or the policy of any other entity having jurisdiction over the contest.