The Board is appointed by the City, and is governed by the Act, the Regulation, the City Bylaw, and other relevant legislation. The Board has the authority for full management and control of the Library, and assumes with that authority the duty to develop policies related to the framework, governance, and operation of the Library.
The Board employs the Chief Executive Officer, who in turn implements the policies and manages the daily operations of the Library. The Chief Executive Officer is accountable to the Board. The staff who implement Library operations are accountable to the Chief Executive Officer.
Board Policies clearly define the scope and limits within which the Library operates. Board Policies are used to provide effective parameters and direction for decisions and actions undertaken by the Board, management, and staff.
(a) The Board shall establish, as Board Policies, those policies required by the Act and the Regulations. The Board shall only revise, repeal and replace such Board Policies as is permitted by the Act and the Regulations.
(b) The Board shall file a report with the Minister that contains the Board Policies established pursuant to this section, and when the Board revises any Board Policy established pursuant to this section, the Board shall immediately file with the Minister a report of that revision.
Other Board Policies
The Board may establish such other Board Policies as it considers appropriate from time to time, and may revise, repeal and replace those Board Policies as it considers appropriate from time to time.
Defining and Interpreting Board Policies
In these policies, the following words have these meanings:
- Act means the Libraries Act (Alberta), being Chapter L-11 of the Revised Statutes of Alberta 2000, as amended from time to time, or any statute substituted for it.
- Administrative Policy means each policy established by the Chief Executive Officer from time to time and designated as an administrative policy of the Library.
- Board means the board which governs the Library pursuant to the Act.
- Board Chair means the person from time to time elected or deemed elected as chair of the Board, and includes the Vice-Chair or a temporary chair when acting in substitution for the Board Chair.
- Board Committees means those standing committees and ad hoc committees of the Board created by the Board from time to time.
- Board Member means each person appointed to the Board by the City from time to time.
Board Policy means each policy approved by the Board.
- Chief Executive Officer means the person appointed by the Board from time to time as the chief executive officer of the Library.
- City means The City of Calgary.
- City Bylaw means Bylaw 38M2006 enacted by City Council, as amended from time to time, and any bylaw substituted for it.
- City Council means the council for the City pursuant to the Municipal Government Act (Alberta), RSA 2000, c. M-26.
- FOIPP means the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Alberta), RSA 2000, c. F-25.
- Hours of Opening means the hours that Library Premises are open to members of the public for using or borrowing Library Materials and using other services.
- Interlibrary Loan means acquiring one or more resources from another library system on behalf of a Library Member.
- Library means the municipal library board established by the City Bylaw.
- Library Materials include items such as books, magazines, newspapers, brochures, pamphlets, audiovisual materials, electronic resources, and maps, in the collection of the Library or borrowed by the Library.
- Library Member means the registered user of a Valid Library Membership.
- Library Premises means any premises used by the Library for Library purposes.
- Loan Limit means the maximum number of items which may be on loan to a Library Member at any given time.
- Loan Period means the period of time for which a Library Member may borrow Library Materials, and includes any renewal of an original Loan Period.
- Person in Charge means the person being in charge of Library Premises at any given time.
Regulations means the Libraries Regulation, being Alta Reg 141/1998, as amended from time to time, or any regulation substituted for it, and any additional regulations made pursuant to the Act.
- Valid Library Membership means that the Library Member’s record is current and in good standing.
- Vice-Chair means the person from time to time appointed or elected as vice-chair of the Board.
The Board may direct the Chief Executive Officer to establish, revise, repeal and replace such Administrative Policies as the Chief Executive Officer considers appropriate from time to time. The Chief Executive Officer shall inform the Board promptly following the establishment, revision, repeal or replacement of each such policy. Each such policy (and each revision, repeal or replacement of it) is subject to review and approval by the Board (in each case with such revisions as the Board in its discretion considers appropriate).