Effective as of September 1, 2016
- Basis of Access The Calgary Public Library (the “Library”) grants you the right to gain access through this public access network (the “Network”) to the Internet and other electronic resources, on the following terms and conditions. Your use of this Network is subject to these terms and conditions, to which you agree. You agree that the Network is provided on an AS IS and AS AVAILABLE basis. The Library disclaims all responsibility and liability for the availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Network. The Library also reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue your access to the Network with or without notice at any time and without any liability to you.
- Accuracy of Registration You represent and warrant that (a) all of the information provided by you to the Library in order to log onto the Network is correct and current; and (b) you are not prohibited by any law, order or judgment (whether civil or criminal) from accessing the Internet.
- Internet Content The Internet is an unregulated, global environment and should be used with care. Information found on the Internet may not be accurate, complete or current. When using the Internet, you must carefully assess the information received from this medium. The Library does not control the information on the Internet and assumes no responsibility for any direct or indirect claims, damages or costs sought by users or third parties arising from the Library’s provision of access to Internet services through this Network. The Library takes no responsibility for third party content (including, without limitation, any viruses or other disabling features), nor does the Library have any obligation to monitor such third party content.
- Public Use Your access to the Library’s Network is subject to the Calgary Public Library Board Use of Library Premises Policy. The Library has an obligation to maintain a welcoming, comfortable, safe, and harassment-free environment for library patrons and employees. Usage of library computers must support such an environment; as such, displaying unlawful, obscene or abusive materials is prohibited. If you have accessed the Network through a public access terminal (the “Terminal”), to protect your privacy and security, and for the convenience of others, you agree to log/close out of any programs you have opened, before leaving the Terminal. The Library assumes no responsibility for the security or privacy of any on-line transactions you conduct.
- Security The Library does not provide encryption or other security measures to protect information you send or receive over the Internet. As with any Internet connection, there is no inherent security; prudence should be exercised in the transmission of confidential or sensitive information over the Internet.
- WiFi Hotspot Service If you are connecting to the Network through our wireless access service, be aware that wireless telecommunications connections are, by their very nature, more prone to loss of connection, due to limited broadcast range, interference caused by physical structures and external interference (including interference with the radio signal through jamming, competing broadcasts on same frequency and temporary electro-magnetic influences). This instability can result in the loss or corruption of data in transmission. In addition, any wireless transmission is capable of interception, even if you are sending data through a secure website (an “https” URL). The Library has no responsibility or liability resulting from any such loss or corruption of data, or from data interception or other consequences of your use of an unsecured wireless communications service.
- Legal Compliance In accessing the Internet, you are subject to federal, provincial, and municipal legislation related to Internet use, including the provisions of the Criminal Code regarding obscenity, child pornography, sedition, and the incitement of hatred. You must not use this Network for any illegal purposes. You agree that you will use the Network in compliance with all applicable municipal, provincial, federal and international laws, rules and regulations, including any laws regarding the transmission of technical data. You shall not use the Network to upload, transmit or otherwise distribute any content that is unlawful or contains viruses; or that infringes upon another party's intellectual property rights or other proprietary, contractual or fiduciary rights or obligations;
- Copyright Copying or distributing material found on the Internet may infringe on copyright or other intellectual property rights of others. The Library is not responsible for such infringements by you.
- Terminal Limitations If you are accessing the Network through a Library Terminal you shall not download or install any software program on this Terminal.
- Time Limits and Reservations for Use Access to the Network on wired and wireless devices provided by the Library is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and may be subject to time limits. While every effort is made to have terminals and other devices available for patron use, the Library may at times reserve terminals or other devices for specific programs, services or upgrades and repairs.
- Filtering Software In line with the Calgary Public Library Board Public Access Network Policy, the Library does not employ filtering software.
- Choice of Access for Children It is the responsibility of parents or guardians to monitor and guide their children’s Internet activity. Once a minor’s membership is created, parents or guardians are able to determine the Internet permissions on their children’s Library Memberships. At the discretion of parents or guardians, two Internet access options are available for patrons: the default setting of unrestricted Internet access or no Internet access whatsoever. Patrons with no Internet access will not have access to the Library’s wireless network, nor will they be able to connect to the Internet on library devices that depend on the Library’s wireless network for connectivity.
- Indemnification You agree to hold harmless and indemnify the Library, its directors, officers, employees and agents, from and against all third party claims and legal proceedings of every kind whatsoever arising from or in any way related to your use of the Network, including all legal costs incurred by the Library in the defense of such claims and proceedings.
Updated on May 24, 2017