The Calgary Public Library represents unlimited possibilities and inspires people of all ages to wonder, seek, discover, and share. Calgary’s 20 (and growing) community libraries are community hubs that ignite learning, discussion, invention, and action and this is accomplished through the Library’s commitment to:
- be a vital part of strengthening neighbourhoods in a growing city
- bring the library into more people’s lives by removing barriers and increasing access to information in all its forms
- focus on services that make a difference
- develop innovative and collaborative partnerships with our community to leverage collective knowledge and expertise
- build welcoming, inclusive and dynamic library spaces and places within the heart of our communities.
To achieve our vision, Calgary Public Library is seeking leaders with ideas, energy, passion and commitment who can help us make a difference in the lives of Calgarians and take public library services to a new level of excellence.
The Calgary Public Library acknowledges the traditional territories and oral practices of the Blackfoot people, the Nakota people of the Stoney Nation, the Beaver people of the Tsuut’ina Nation, and the peoples of the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region Three.
Service Design Lead
(13 Month Full-Time Term)
As a key member of the Service Design team, the Service Design Lead will be responsible for the design, development and evaluation of a range of Library programs and services that further the goals of the Library’s strategic plan.
Calgary Public Library seeks an innovative Service Design Lead who has:
- a recognized track record of generating and developing visionary ideas and a demonstrated capacity to design enriching and engaging patron focused programs and services
- outstanding people and communication skills, including the proven ability to influence others and lead change
- experience with community partnerships and development of new community engagement initiatives
- knowledge and experience with emerging and leading practices in the evaluation of programs and services
As part of a dynamic team, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of design projects (including service planning for the new central library), contributing to a cross-functional workplace environment that encourages a creative and open-minded approach to designing library services.
- Lead the identification of need, design, development and packaging of innovative and cost-effective library services and programs
- Conduct research and environmental scans to identify trends and opportunities
- Implement evaluation strategies to assess effectiveness and impact, with the aim of continuously improving services and programs
- Leadership of project teams and budgets in service design and the piloting of new initiatives
- Develop training to build staff capacity to support the implementation of programs and services
- Active participation and Library representation in the broader network of organizations serving the respective areas of focus in Calgary
- Continuous personal development and growth
- Master level degree (e.g. Master of Education, Master of Library Science) with a minimum of three years’ directly related experience; OR Bachelor level University degree and five years’ directly-related experience
- Proven record of excellence in developing innovative community programs and services; knowledge of and experience in a public library setting is an asset
- A passion for and experience in designing transformative programs and services that demonstrate creativity and design thinking principles and use a patron focused approach with a commitment to exploring and integrating external influences and best practices
- Excellent relationship building, influencing and networking skills
- Demonstrated experience and success with coordinating and communicating program changes particularly motivating and inspiring others
- Superior communication (verbal and written), problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Knowledge and understanding of how to manage multiple projects including tools and strategies
- Competitive salary
- Employee Family Assistant Program (EFAP)
- Opportunity to contribute to an award-winning library system, grow professionally, and make a positive difference in the lives of Calgarians
How to apply
If Service Design Lead sounds like the next chapter in your career story, take this opportunity to make a real contribution to one of Canada's leading public library systems. Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Be sure to quote competition number “211” in the subject line of your e-mail.
The closing date for this competition is July 15, 2018.
We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment. Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.