Me Card (Alberta-Wide Borrowing)
The ME Card allows you to check out items from other participating Alberta public libraries. Complete the online web form at melibraries.ca to create an account with the participating libraries of your choice. Then use your Calgary Public Library card at the libraries you registered with. All items borrowed at participating libraries can be returned to any ME library.
The Alberta Library Card (TAL)
TAL Cards (The Alberta Library Card), provide limited borrowing privileges at participating libraries throughout Alberta. To learn more about TAL, click here.
Is there something you’d like to borrow that the Library doesn’t have? Request an interlibrary loan, and we’ll borrow it from another library system for you! All you need is a valid Calgary Public Library card.
To place an interlibrary loan request, search for your title in the Alberta Library Online. Once you find it, simply follow the instructions to submit your interlibrary loan request.
If you can’t find the item in the Alberta Library Online, visit your local community library, and ask staff to help you complete an interlibrary loan request form.
Items eligible for interlibrary loan include titles that Calgary Public Library does not own in the following formats: print books, CDs, book CDs, DVDs, MP3s, microfilm/fiche (for in-library use only at the Central Library) and photocopies of articles from magazines, journals and newspapers.
- You can have up to five active interlibrary loan requests at one time.
- ILL holds are counted against the 50 hold limit available to members of Calgary Public Library.
- Most ILL requests are free. If there is a charge, staff will contact you before processing the request.
- ILL requests for titles that have yet to be published will be cancelled.
- For requests involving photocopying, a minimum charge of $5.00 will be applied.
- Please talk to staff at a community library if you wish to suspend an interlibrary loan.
- Depending on the material, an interlibrary loan may take four to six weeks to arrive. Please allow three weeks before checking the status of a request.
- The loan period for most interlibrary loan items is four weeks; DVDs may be borrowed for one week.
- Interlibrary loans cannot be renewed.
- Overdue fines for interlibrary loans are $1.00 per day.
- Interlibrary loan items must be checked out by staff and returned directly to staff at any Calgary Public Library location. Interlibrary loans cannot be checked out using self-checkout machines.