Help students ages 8 to 14 play literacy games, work on creative writing projects and school writing assignments to help foster a love for literacy and writing and to encourage success in English Language Arts. Volunteers meet weekly with students in the Library to provide academic support.
- Help students achieve academic success through one-on-one or small group creative writing and reading support
- Foster a love for reading and writing through fun activities and games
- Use teaching and learning techniques to help students develop English Language Arts skills and competencies
- Provide positive mentors and role models to students
- Position the Library as an essential educational support to families and caregivers
Fall / Winter / Spring
Ongoing in the academic year
Dates and times vary depending on location
- Adult and senior high school students (Grade 10 to Grade 12)
- Strong academic standards
- Positive attitude
- Strong communication skills
- Able to interact with students of diverse backgrounds and ages
- Able to work in a team environment
- Attend an orientation and training session
- Be a positive role model for participants
- Provide one-on-one and small group assistance to students with schoolwork assignments, creative writing projects and in the use of basic internet, online resources and other learning materials that support school success
- Volunteer responsibilities include: checking-in with participants as they work, inviting alternatives to solve a problem, modelling appropriate behavior, asking open-ended inquiry questions, helping with reading, and engaging parents to assist, if they are available and willing.
- Support students with writing or reading comprehension activities.
A one-hour training and orientation session to review program materials
- Gain leadership and coaching skills
- Meet new people, have fun and contribute to your community
All volunteer positions for this program are currently filled. Please complete an application and we will contact you when a position becomes available.