Help English Language Learner (ELL) students aged six to eight build English vocabulary knowledge and support their literacy development using storybook reading, word-based games, and activities. Adult team lead volunteers support the program while youth volunteers read one-on-one with the learners and engage them in literacy activities. While the students participate in the program, parents/caregivers can join a discussion circle concerning language development, facilitated by staff.
- Help newcomer children improve their English vocabulary
- Support children in developing a love of reading through exposure to exciting books and stories
- Build newcomer parents’ capacity to support their child’s education.
- Position the Library as an essential language support for newcomers of all ages.
Fall / Winter / Spring / Summer
Dates and times vary depending on location
- Strong reading and speaking skills in English
- Positive attitude, reliable, patient, able to stay on task
- Able to interact with patrons of diverse backgrounds and ages
- Able to work in a team environment
- Youth Volunteers currently in junior high or high school
- Youth volunteers help learners one-on-one or in small groups through reading and literacy activities
- Adult Team Lead Volunteers provide support to Library staff, youth volunteers, and learners during the program’s one-on-one and small groups activities
- Support program goals
- Complete an orientation and training session
- Ensure a positive, comfortable and fun learning environment
- Abide by the Volunteer Standards of Conduct
- Be a good role model
A one-hour training and orientation session
- Share your passion for literacy
- Help students develop English literacy skills
- Meet new people
- Have fun and contribute to your community
- Develop inter-personal, leadership, problem-solving, and communication skills
Forest Lawn Library
Village Square Library
All volunteer positions for this program are currently filled. Please complete an application and we will contact you when a position becomes available.