Library Docent volunteers lead 45-minute patron tours of New Central Library. Two types of tours are offered: the General Library Tour and the Architecture Tour. Tours occur weekday mornings and afternoons along with limited evening and weekend tours.
The General Library Tour covers the stories, brief history and services of the New Central Library.
The Architecture Tour focuses on the architectural advances and features of the building.
- Promote New Central Library as a safe, welcoming environment and destination for all ages
- Showcase the features and spaces of New Central Library
- Support library staff in facilitating dynamic, interactive learning
- Increase patron satisfaction
Fall / Winter / Spring / Summer
Two- to three-hour shifts
- Able to work independently
- Fluent in English language
- Strong public speaking skills
- Outgoing and friendly personality
- Enjoys learning new things and sharing their knowledge
- Enjoys interacting with all types of people
- Able to move around the building for the duration of their shift
- Architecture Tour volunteers are architecture enthusiasts or professionals in the field
- Attend an orientation and training session
- Lead tours, following the guidelines and using the content information provided by Library staff
- Engage patrons and share knowledge both to small groups or one-on-one
- Interact with stakeholders in a friendly and respectful manner
- Abide by the Volunteer Standards of Conduct
- Information package including tour content provided prior to first shift for independent learning
- Observe a Library General Tour and an Architecture Tour
- On-site orientation provided by New Central Library staff
- Develop interpersonal, leadership, problem-solving, communication, and time management skills
- Gain experience in public speaking and facilitation
- Meet new people
- Have fun and contribute to your community
All volunteer positions for this program are currently filled. Please complete an application and we will contact you when a position becomes available.