Free Online Resources to Make Studying Easier
Studying at home can be stressful, but these free online tools may help make it a little bit easier. From full theatre productions of Shakespeare plays to free online tutoring and practice tests, there’s a wide variety of quality digital resources to supplement your study sessions. We’ve highlighted a few major Alberta curriculum subject areas and some great digital resources to use along with them.
- Learn about famous scientists and research topics in applied sciences, biology, chemistry, earth science, energy, and astronomy with Science Reference Centre.
- Develop your scientific knowledge and skills with Learning Express, which has biology, chemistry, and earth science practice.
- Get Alberta curriculum-aligned online science tutoring with brainfuse HelpNow or access The Key practice tests and worksheets with SOLARO.
- Read teen science magazines like Brainspace for free on Flipster or check out the Popular Science magazine on RBDigital.
- Learn Indigenous languages such as Cree, Dakota, Oji-Cree, and Ojibwe from Transparent Language.
- Watch the documentary Indigenous Peoples of the Arctic from Kanopy's Great Courses collection and other international films about Indigenous topics, such as the classic Canadian film Nanook of the North. You can also watch films on Indigenous issues from the National Film Board of Canada on NFB Campus.
- Learn about Indigenous history, perspectives, cultures, and contemporary issues in the Indigenous Peoples Atlas of Canada.
- Study the colonial experience with Frontier Life, where you can find documents, maps, artwork, and photographs about settlers and Indigenous peoples of North America and beyond.
- Read SAY, a lifestyle magazine written about and for indigenous people and youth, on Flipster with any device.
- Watch Canadian Indigenous films on Curio.ca.
- Learning Express can help you improve your math skills with practice in algebra, data analysis, calculus, geometry, and more.
- Get Alberta curriculum-aligned online math tutoring with brainfuse HelpNow or access The Key practice tests and worksheets with SOLARO.
- Research Canada’s history and culture with articles from the Maclean’s Magazine Archive.
- The Canadian Encyclopedia lets you search for a specific topic on Canada’s history and culture or browse more than 30,000 multimedia items, including images, maps, games, audio, and video.
- Discover Canada’s historical figures with the Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Search over 8,500 biographies of Canadians in history.
- With Early Canadiana Online you can search for information on major historical events, the development of institutions, genealogy, Canadian literature and politics, trades and tariffs, and more from the 16th to 20th century.
- Get Alberta curriculum-aligned online social studies tutoring with brainfuse HelpNow or access practice tests and worksheets with SOLARO.
English Language Arts:
- Find full-text scholarly journals, literary magazines, biographies, criticisms, summaries, and more with Literature Resource Centre.
- Learning Express can help you improve reading comprehension, writing, spelling, and grammar with their high school resources.
- Watch theatre productions and critical analyses of Shakespeare plays and other literary masterpieces on Kanopy.
- LitFinder lets you explore full-text poems, short stories, novels, essays, speeches, plays, biographies, summaries, and more.
- Get Alberta curriculum-aligned online ELA tutoring with brainfuse HelpNow or access practice tests and worksheets with SOLARO.
- Part of the school band? Supplement your musical skills with a variety of expert-led vocal and instrument lessons on ArtistWorks and Lynda.com.
- If you need some good studying tunes, enjoy currently unlimited, ad-free streaming on Freegal Music or relax with classical music from Naxos Music Library.
- Find articles, newspapers, and references books covering all subject areas with MasterFILE Premier.
- Academic Search Premier gives you access to full-text and peer-reviewed academic journals, magazines, trade publications, and newspapers on all major areas of research.
Not yet a Library member? Sign up online for your free Library card to get access to the Digital Library and more of the Library’s online resources immediately.