Wednesday, September 27, 2023
- Your Library
- Events & Programs
- Read, Learn & Explore
1. Love podcasts? You’re going to love our new speaker series. Podcast Live! features leading podcasters and innovators behind popular shows like “Radiolab” and “Invisible City.” Learn about and register for upcoming free events on our programs page.
2. Can you imagine climbing Mount Everest or scuba diving in the Galapagos Islands? A new virtual reality program lets you do just that. VR Explorers is a program that takes kids ages six to 12 on an immersive virtual reality journey with Google Expeditions. It’s offered at Central Library; find out when on our programs page.
3. You already know you can use Library resources in-person or online … but did you know the Library can also come to you? We have five mobile libraries rolling into communities around Calgary. Our Book Trucks and Story Trucks bring the Library to schools, community events, and day homes.
4. Indigenous Language Revitalization camps are now part of Library programming! In partnership with the Aboriginal Friendship Centre of Calgary, free beginner camps were offered in the fall of 2018, to learn Blackfoot, Cree, and Michif. The Library plans to offer more Indigenous Language programs in 2019.
5. There’s fun new places just for Calgary kids! Our Early Learning Centres are designed to encourage young children to learn through play, and now there are now 12 of these Early Learning Centres at libraries around Calgary! Our newest spaces include a real helicopter inside Seton Library, plus a chance to discover dinosaurs at Country Hills Library.
6. You can now use your Library card to take online music lessons — the same card that also allows you to borrow musical instruments for free. ArtistWorks for Libraries is an Digital Resource full of step-by-step video music lessons with experts. Watch videos on many instruments, including guitar, banjo, ukulele, trumpet, piano and drums.
7. There’s a new way to get your news with Calgary Public Library. Our E-Library, already home to Digital Resources like Newspaper Source Plus and PressReader, now grants access to the New York Times Online. Find all our newsy online resources on this list.
8. With exciting new residency programs at the Central Library, you can now learn from an artist and historian. Attend talks, events, and workshops, or schedule office hours with our historian in residence and view art by our artist in residence.
PLUS your Library card gives you access to eBooks, eAudiobooks, free meeting rooms, $5 of free printing each month, hundreds of in-person programs, popular magazines, free music, language learning resources, free films, online courses … the list goes on and on! Check out our original list of 15 Library Card Perks to learn more.
Not yet a Library card member? Sign up online now or visit any Library location to get your free card.
Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Monday, September 25, 2023
Tuesday, September 5, 2023