Early Learning Centres at Calgary Public Library are free spaces for children ages zero to five to learn through play.
These vibrant and interactive spaces are designed to nurture children’s early learning development through activities and features that support the five early literacy practices: talking, singing, reading, writing, and playing.
Early Learning Centres are designed to be flexible, open-ended, and interactive. Features such as experiential and moveable activity centres, props, and games support play and active learning.
Knowledgeable and experienced Library staff oversee Early Learning Centres, with support from trained members of our Early Literacy Volunteer Corps.
Where can kids play?
There are currently ten Early Learning Centres at our community libraries, each built around a distinct concept:
- The World is Your Stage at Fish Creek Library.
- Rainbow Jungle at Village Square Library.
- The New Adventures of Engine 23, a decommissioned fire truck turned Early Learning Centre, at Central Library.
- Read and Play at Quarry Park Library.
- Into the Woods at Shawnessy Library.
- Eco-Sustainability at the first outdoor Early Learning Centre, the Forest Lawn Library Nature Playground.
- Up, Up, and Away at Saddletowne Library’s Calgary Foundation Early Learning Centre.
- Explore Energy at Forest Lawn Library's Calgary Foundation Early Learning Centre.
- Build and create at Signal Hill Library's Calgary Foundation Early Learning Centre.
- Bird’s Eye View at Crowfoot Library's Calgary Foundation Early Learning Centre.
Why is early learning important?
Healthy development in early childhood sets the course for a child’s future, leads to kindergarten readiness, and prepares children for lifelong learning and success. Early Learning Centres are one piece of Calgary Public Library’s Early Learning Strategy. Learn more about what we’re doing to support early learning by reading our Early Learning Strategy.
Will there be more Early Learning Centres?
Calgary Public Library’s long-term goal is to have an Early Learning Centre in every library in Calgary.
Four Calgary Foundation Early Learning Centres opened from September to December 2017, including Saddletowne Library, Forest Lawn Library, Signal Hill Library, and Crowfoot Library, thanks to a $1 million investment from the Calgary Foundation and an anonymous donor.
Philanthropic support from individuals, organizations, and all levels of government have made our other Early Learning Centres possible. Learn more about how you can invest in early learning at the Library by visiting the Calgary Public Library Foundation's website.